The new coupe-like crossover BMW X4 is officially launched on February 14, 2020. The world premiere of the 2nd generation of the Bavarian crossover BMW X4 will be held within the framework of the Geneva Motor Show , opening its doors to visitors in mid-March this year. We offer our readers an overview of the new BMW X4 2019-2020 with photos and videos, the price and specifications, the technical characteristics of the brother of the new BMW X3 . Sales of the new generation of the X4 crossover from BMW AG in the world market (the main markets for North America, Europe, Russia and China) will start in June 2020 at a price of 49700 euros for the basic version of the new BMW X4 xDrive20i with 184-horsepower gasoline engine. The BMW plant in the American city of Spartanburg (Spartanburg, South Carolina, USA) will manufacture the new generation of BMW X4 at the end of March 2020.
The new generation of the “X-4” crossover coupe is the twin brother of the 3rd generation of the BMW X3 crossover, but with an individual design of the rear part of the body. Both models changed their generation to a new modular CLAR platform, allowing the new BMW X4 to drop from 15 to 50 kg depending on the version, compared to the first generation of the model . At the same time, the new generation of the coupe-like crossover significantly increased in size in comparison with its predecessor and acquired a body with a more stylish design and excellent aerodynamics.
- The outer overall dimensions of the body of the new BMW X4 2019-2020 are 4752 mm in length, 1918 mm in width, 1621 mm in height, with 2,864 mm of wheelbase and 203 mm of ground clearance.
- Compared with the first generation of the model, the body 2 of the crossover generation increased 81 mm in length, 37 mm in width, the distance between the axles became larger by 54 mm and only the height of the body decreased by 3 mm.
- The coefficient of the front-end drag of the body of the new BMW X4 is only 0.30 Cx (in the predecessor this index is worse than 0.33-0.36 Cx).
- For a crossover with a coupe body is offered a lot of options for light alloy wheels from R18 to R21.
The manufacturer will offer a new coupe crossover BMW X4 in three body and interior design options – xLine, M Sport and M Sport X. The differences in design are clearly visible in the photo presented in the review. At the same time for the novelty are offered several gasoline and diesel engines. Thus, fans of the Bavarian company will have very difficult to choose their own individual configuration.
In the BMW AG model line, two Sports Activity Coupe crossover – BMW X4 and BMW X6 . If before the cars were easily confused when viewed from the rear, then with the introduction of the new “X-Four” to the market, the novelty has every chance to eclipse the larger and more expensive “X-Six” with only elegant narrow LED lights on the three-dimensional graphics. At the same time, all the feeds of the new generation of BMW X4 are a continuous work of art: the luggage compartment door with a strong glass slope and a high vertical metal part crowned with a spoiler, a stroke of dimensional lighting, a monumental bumper with a diffuser and large exhaust pipe nozzles.
Side of the body of the new generation “X4 fourth” demonstrates all the attributes of the coupe-shaped crossover, selected by the manufacturers in a separate subclass of the Sports Activity Coupe: a long hood, a strong slope of the windshield frame, a sloping roof line, starting its decline even before the middle pillar and forming an ideal merger with the line of the high sill at the stern.
The front part of the BMW X4 body is identical to the front BMW X3 and flaunts the signature nostrils of the Bavarian manufacturer’s false radiator grille, the strict look of the Bi-LED headlamps and the powerful bumper with large air intakes.
The decoration of the interior of the X-IV is an exact copy of the X-III saloon, unless, of course, we take into account the less hospitable rear row and luggage compartment with less useful volume. In the arsenal is a digital informative dashboard, a compact multifunctional steering wheel with a plump rim, a full-color projection display offered for a surcharge, an advanced multimedia complex with a 10.25-inch color display, a central console deployed towards the driver with a competently located climate control unit and buttons , responsible for the auxiliary functions of the car.
Separate attention is paid to the well-designed driver’s and front passenger’s seats, providing the assembled landing and excellent lateral support, the distance between the front and rear seats increased by 27 mm in comparison with the predecessor’s cabin (the increase obviously will make it more comfortable to be located behind), as well as high-quality, premium materials finishes and a huge selection of color solutions for the interior.
The luggage compartment of the new generation BMW X4 at the standard position of the backs of the rear seats is 525 liters, having folded the separate 40:20:40 the back of the second row we get the maximum volume of 1430 liters (for the 1 generation models, respectively, 500 and 1400 liters). The luggage compartment door is equipped with an electric drive as standard. As a bonus in the trunk there is a mass of places for storing small things, a grid for securing cargo, a USB port and a socket for 12 volts.
Technical characteristics of BMW X4 2019-2020 year.
It’s nice to note that all versions of the new generation of the BMW X4 are standard equipped with 8 automatic transmissions and a proprietary all-wheel drive xDrive (multi-plate clutch connects the front wheels). The new “X-Four” is offered with three petrol and four diesel engines.
Gasoline versions of the new BMW X4 2020:
- The BMW X4 xDrive20i with a four-cylinder 2.0-liter engine (184 HP 290 Nm) accelerates from 0 to 100 kmh in 8.3 seconds, a top speed of 215 km / h, and an average fuel consumption of 7.1 liters.
- The BMW X4 xDrive30i with a 2.0-liter petrol four-cylinder engine (252 HP 350 Nm) accelerates to the first hundred in 6.3 seconds, a maximum of 240 kmh, fuel consumption of 7.3 liters.
- The BMW X4 M40i with a 3.0-liter petrol six-cylinder engine (360 hp 500 Nm) fires from 0 to 100 kmh in 4.8 seconds, the maximum speed is limited to 250 km / h, fuel consumption in the combined mode of motion is 9.0 liters.
Diesel version of the new BMW X4 2020:
- BMW X4 xDrive20d with 2.0-liter turbo diesel (190 hp 400 Nm) providing acceleration from 0 to 100 km / h in 8.0 seconds and a top speed of 213 km / h, diesel fuel consumption is 5.3 liters.
- The BMW X4 xDrive25d with a 2.0-liter four-cylinder turbo diesel (231 HP 500 Nm) accelerates from 0 to 100 kmh in 6.8 seconds, the top speed reaches 230 km / h, and fuel consumption is declared at 5.5 liters.
- The BMW X4 xDrive30d with a 3.0-liter six-cylinder turbo diesel (265 hp 620 Nm) is able to score the first hundred in 5.8 seconds, a top speed of 240 kmh, and a fuel consumption of at least 5.9 liters.
- The BMW X4 M40d with a six-cylinder 3.0-liter turbo diesel (326 hp 680 Nm) catapults the coupe-shaped crossover from 0 to 100 kmh in 4.9 seconds, the maximum speed is limited by electronics at the turn of 250 km / h, the average diesel fuel consumption is either lower 6.4 liters.
By the way, it is the version of the BMW X4 M40d that is presented by the Bavarian manufacturer for the first time acquaintance with the new generation of the BMW X4 (photo in the review).